VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Agencies?

View next topic
View previous topic
Uniryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

On a voice actor's page on this site, to the left of the picture there is part that says Agencies. Take Tom Kenny's. His says Innovative Artists. What exactly are these and what do they do to help the voice actor?

Three
One to vacuum, one to impersonate the noise the vacuum makes, and one to sit in his hot tub drinking martinis cause he didn't waste his money trying to be a vacuum noise actor.
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not the most knowledgable on this, but to be in the business, you have to have an agent. The agent sends you information about auditions, roles, etc. I heard that nowadays, you don't even have to go in for an audition.

Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Uniryu wrote:
On a voice actor's page on this site, to the left of the picture there is part that says Agencies. Take Tom Kenny's. His says Innovative Artists. What exactly are these and what do they do to help the voice actor?

The agency "represents" the actor in that they find work/auditions for them. It's important to have one nowadays as the field's becoming more competitive. Studios will sometimes contact an agency if they want a specific actor, and agencies will send actors to certain auditions where they think the actor might fit the role.

Kind of a brief summary, but yeah. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm guessing that all the agency does is get and send you to auditions and maybe put a few good words in. I can understand that but it doesn't sound like you have to have an agent. For example, I've heard of voice artists who do a lot of their work at home on computer. They find auditions online, send in a CD, and if they get the job, work with audio recording hardware. And I don't see why voice actors can't find auditions the old fasion way. Kinda seems like a waste of 10%, but what do I know Smile . I'm just a loley southern boy Cool . One more dumb question before i stop annoying you guys. Do have to live in New York or LA to become a full time voice actor? Thanks

Three
One to vacuum, one to impersonate the noise the vacuum makes, and one to sit in his hot tub drinking martinis cause he didn't waste his money trying to be a vacuum noise actor.
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Uniryu wrote:
So I'm guessing that all the agency does is get and send you to auditions and maybe put a few good words in. I can understand that but it doesn't sound like you have to have an agent. For example, I've heard of voice artists who do a lot of their work at home on computer. They find auditions online, send in a CD, and if they get the job, work with audio recording hardware. And I don't see why voice actors can't find auditions the old fasion way. Kinda seems like a waste of 10%, but what do I know Smile . I'm just a loley southern boy Cool . One more dumb question before i stop annoying you guys. Do have to live in New York or LA to become a full time voice actor? Thanks

It depends on what kind of voice acting you want to be doing. If you want to be in animation, I've heard from several actors that you have to live in L.A. New York is also a big hub, like you said, and Texas is starting to get busy in the industry, as well.

Bob Bergen has a great FAQ on his website that might help answer some of your questions, including the need to have an agency:
http://bobbergen.com/faq.htm

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! That was pretty helpfull. He also had a few great links to voice over sites and demo sites. They are compostproductions.com voiceoverresourceguide.com everythingvo.com and voicebank.net
Thanks again.

Three
Uniryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Bergen also has this amazing recording of him and the great Mel Blanc just chattin it up. Oh and by the way, he was fourteen at the time!
He had just called Mel Blanc's office out of the blue! If you want something to really inspire you to get into voice over, check this out.

Three
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uniryu wrote:
Bob Bergen also has this amazing recording of him and the great Mel Blanc just chattin it up. Oh and by the way, he was fourteen at the time!

Yep! Isn't that a great recording? You should hear Bob tell the story...

He's a super nice guy and one of my favorite people in the world, if you ever get the chance to meet him.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Something else to keep in mind about agencies is they're a useful liaison, especially through sites like the aforementioned voicebank.net or many of the agencies own sites, like CED or Arlene Thornton. They present demo excerpts online, notes about the talents general credits and range, which region they're in, agency contact e-mail, and in cases like Arlene Thornton or the Wallis Agency, photos and full resumes. This may seem less useful thanks to personal internet sites, but actually it's quite valuable. Many ad execs or animation companies and especially video game companies who aren't necessarily using someone like Susan Blu or another vet as voice director to assemble the cast as well are more likely to poke through an agencies site and compare and contrast than they are to do a Google to try to find a terrific non-agency actor's page. It's like in any other profession, networking is essential, and while a lot of it is sending out demos and going to them, more imnportant iw making it easier for people to find you. Voicebank lets ad agencies send them the copy, the VO agency or actors can then record it from a home studio, and there you go. Some actors, like June Foray, are at a point where they've stopped auditioning and basically their agency is a token (since by this point, Ms. Foray figures that anyone considering her for a role should know what she's capable of), but for the rest and especially beginners, an agency is crucial. In a lot of ways, really, while successful actors need to be self-promoters in many respects, the best agencies take care of most of the time-consuming grunt work of sending out demos, contacting studios, etc., and being associated with a legitimate, well-known agency lends an actor a certain amount of credibility (which on its own won't guarantee work, but it's a place).

Just some thoughts from a complete non-industry observer.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Crazyswordsman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Bergen really sounds like he means business. Maybe once I get out of college, I'll take a class of his, as he seems to be one of the few celebrities who isn't selling out.

I really need to meet this guru. He's honest, but he doesn't want to get the hope of fans and aspiring VAs down. Maybe he'll come visit STL during the year or New York in the summer. Maybe I will be breaking my promise to myself never to go to Los Angeles, heh. -CSM
(but if I go, I won't stay unless for some wierd reason I get stuck down there doing voiceovers as a professional. Right now, I'm happy recording demos on my computer and sending them to various fan projects)

(Credit where it's needed. My avatar was made by the awesome Jay Resop. You can check his site out at http://www.smbhq.com/nc)
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Crazyswordsman wrote:
I really need to meet this guru. He's honest, but he doesn't want to get the hope of fans and aspiring VAs down. Maybe he'll come visit STL during the year or New York in the summer.

He travels often, usually attends many conventions and does his weekend voice-over seminar several times a year all over the country. I highly recommend taking a class of his if you're serious about getting into the biz. He's also planning on doing his voice over cruise again next year.

In any case, just keep checking his appearances page. Never know where he'll show up next! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I found this:

www.cedvoices.com

It's the site for CESD Voices, and there are demos from a LOT OF NAMES there, such as:

Pamela Adlon
Axel Alba
Cody Arens
Rene Auberjonois
Jake T. Austin
Shane Baumel
Robby Bruce
Johanna E. Braddy
Benjamin Bryan
A.J. Buckley
Julianne Buescher
Paul Butcher
Ridge Canipe
Nestor Carbonell
Leslie Carrara
Dixie Carter
Dan Castellaneta
Megan Cavanagh
Erin Chambers
Melanie Chartoff
Cheryl Chase
Greg Cipes
Hunter Clary
Tim Conway
Dave Coulier
Miley Cyrus
Rickey D'Shon Collins
Mark Derwin
Jack DeSena
Ben Diskin
Melissa Disney
Jeff Doucette
Courtnee Draper
Ja'net DuBois
Jason Earles
Chris Edgerly
Harrison Fahn
Bill Farmer
Dave Fennoy
Keith Ferguson
Jaishon Fisher
Jamai Fisher
Maile Flanagan
Jessie Flower
Pat Fraley
Will Friedle
Nika Futterman
Willie Garson
Juliette Goglia
Khamani Griffin
Shane Haboucha
Olivia Hack
James Hong
Richard Horvitz
Paige Hurd
Drake Johnston
Bob Joles
Dean Jones
Victoria Justice
Tom Kane
Janice Kawaye
Andrew Lawrence
Matt Levin
Lil J
Tara Lipinski
June Lockhart
Mary Lou
Tessa Ludwick
M.C. Lyte
Laura Marano
Vanessa Marano
Jason Marsden
Vanessa Marshall
Vincent Martella
Taylor Masamitsu
Heather Matarazzo
Anndi McAfee
Jesse McCartney
Skye McCole-Bartusiak
Bruce McGill
Danica McKellar
Scott Menville
Drew Mikuska
Dylan Minnette
Taylor Momsen
Cameron Monaghan
Esai Morales
Phil Morris
Mary Matilyn Mouser
Pat Musick
Mitchel Musso
Nolan North
Ryan O'Donohue
Edward James Olmos
Ashley Rose Orr
Jordan Orr
Hayden Panettiere
Madison Pettis
Christina Pickles
Bradley Pierce
Katelyn Pippy
Vaneza Leza Pitynski
Alexander Polinsky
Kyla Pratt
Phil Proctor
Peter Renaday
Kevin Michael Richardson
Tequan Richmond
AnnaSophia Robb
Grace Rolek
Stephen Root
Julianna Rose
Juliet Holland Rose
Neil Ross
Daniel Samonas
Jessy Schram
Joshua Seth
Jeremy Shada
Josh Shada
Zack Shada
Brad Sherwood
James Shigeta
Armin Shimerman
Susan Silo
Meagan Smith
Kelly Stables
Brian Stepanek
Fred Stoller
Jennifer Stone
Alyson Stoner
Sally Struthers
James Patrick Stuart
Fred Tatasciore
Khleo Thomas
Kirk Thornton
Rory Thost
Lori Tritel
Matthew Underwood
Jasmine Villegas
Tracey Walter
Malcolm-Jamal Warner
Audrey Wasilewski
Vernee Watson-Johnson
Frank Welker
Denzel Whitaker
Kym Whitley
Mae Whitman
Fred Willard
Crawford Wilson
Wally Wingert
Adam Wylie
Keone Young
Lenore Zann

...among others, and I was only looking in the Los Angeles list when I listed the above VA demos. lol

Demos are separated into lists Los Angeles, New York, and Celebrities. Some may be in more than one list; ex. Hayden Panettiere (LA and NY) and Rene Auberjonois (LA and Celeb).

Yeah, I'm thinking of sending them a demo of my voice(s). If they like it, who knows? Over time, maybe they'll sign me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

OK

In addition to training aspiring voice actors I also produce voice overs for clients including Discovery Network, the WE Network and HGTV.
There are certainly different ways to approach voice acting, but beginning with significant agency representation is not only not likely, it is not always a good idea.
Many new voice actors imagine an agent as a sort of "magic wand" that will allow them to just sit back and wait for the work to come in.
While it's certainly true that in "A" markets like NYC, Phili, and LA, a reasonable portion of our industry is agency driven, the vast majority of professional opportunities for voice actors occur independently of agents.
Many of the most successful voice actors I know, particularly those in "B" markets, have absolutely no agent representation. They instead rely on their own marketing efforts...i.e., sending out demo CDs and following up.
Don't get me wrong, a major agent can be a tremendous asset in helping you build success, but if you have no perspective on finding work yourself or little professional experience, you are not likely to attract the interest of a reputable agent.
My advice, particularly to those interested in voice acting in and around "B" markets is to begin independently. Once you have some professional work under your belt, and then consider agency representation.
Please also keep in mind that the vast majority of available work in our field is non-commercial. Training material, multi-media, audio books, educational material, voice mail and on-hold messaging, internet, documentary, historical, travel, and biographical material are some of the forms of narrative voice work that make up, by most estimates 90% of all professional VO.

David Bourgeois

President: Voice Coaches
1-866-887-2834 X 100
www.voicecoaches.com

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic