VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Pregnancies?

View next topic
View previous topic
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does any anybody know why whenever a female seiyuu is pregnant and go on maternity leave, their character is replaced by a different seiyuu for a while, but when a western animation voice actress is pregant, their character is not (I've heard they can bring their baby to a session, but couldn't a seiyuu as well?)

Example: When Megumi Hayashibara was pregnant, her character of Musashi/Jesse on Pokemon was replaced by Akiko Hiramatsu (who played Yukari in Azumanga Daioh, one of my faves Very Happy )

When Kikuko Inoue was on maternity leave, for the first 13 episodes of Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses, Belldandy was replaced by Akemi Okamura.

While Ikue Ohtani is pregant, her character Pikachu's voice is archived from a library (figures), but Chopper (from the ever-so-awesome One Piece) is Kazue Ikura, and Gash Bell is being played by Konami Yoshida.

However, in the US/Canada, Tara Strong has had two babies since she started playing Timmy Turner, E.G. Daily also twice while playing Tommy Pickles, and several other voice actresses had children while in the middle of characters, yet they're not never replaced. Can anyone explain why the system is different in these two countries?

Crazyswordsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

When a VA gets pregnant, nothing can stop them from talking, right? Remember that in Japan, VAs are celebrities; here they aren't. So they're not evaluated as rigorously as they are in Japan. Also, there are fewer VAs here than in Japan anyway.

Once babies are had, it's not that hard to take care of them. Dave Willis, who voices Meatwad and Carl on ATHF, has a child, and takes him to work often.

I really don't know how either Tokyo or Hollywood works with voices. -CSM

(Credit where it's needed. My avatar was made by the awesome Jay Resop. You can check his site out at http://www.smbhq.com/nc)
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know that voice actors can bring their kids to work (the Lauren Tom clip on Voicestarz. In a radio interview with Tara Strong, there's this mumbling sound and halfway through, she admits "That's my baby in the background by the way, I bring my kids everywhere I go. My 3-year-old runs around Nickelodeon like he owns it.") But I just didn't see why a seiyuu couldn't voice act while pregnant or bring their baby with them to work as well.

Crazyswordsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Like I said, in Japan, the competition for voice acting is so much tougher than it is here, so VAs need to work round the clock and be in tip top shape. That means no pregnancies. This is just a guess, based on what I know about Seyuus versus American actors.

Oh, and speaking of voice actors with kids, the lovely and talanted Missy Palmer, the voice of Marzipan, is pregnant now. I cant wait to see what Chapman the Elder will make their kid do with the Homestar and Strong Bad puppets. -CSM

(Credit where it's needed. My avatar was made by the awesome Jay Resop. You can check his site out at http://www.smbhq.com/nc)
James Craven
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the most recent case was Grey DeLisle, and she kept working (remember, here in the States, most voices are done well in advance of new episodes or movies) until after the holidays, and she's back at work as I speak.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic