VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Database Issues

View next topic
View previous topic
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy folks.

As many of you have noticed, there's some trouble with our voice-over database at the moment.

This past Monday, the server that Voice Chasers is hosted on got fried, to put it politely, which forced our webhost to transfer all data over to a brand new, shiny server.

By Tuesday afternoon, we were up again, but there was a new problem: portions of our database were missing. The majority of the tables in the VC database mysteriously disappeared during the transition over to the new server, which is why you'll find several errors when attempting to pull up actor pages. The productions table of the database is completely gone.

Our host is in the process of attempting to restore the database back to its original condition before the transfer. Hopefully this will be done within the next 24 hours.

Hang in there, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sticking with us during this unfortunate outage.

Last edited by Kristy Sproul on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have some unfortunate news.

It looks like our webhost was unable to retrieve any data from the old server as we'd previously expected. Foolishly, I had been relying on them to maintain backups in case something went awry, and it seems that when the server blew back in late June, all the good backups had also been written over that day, which left them with no way to retrieve the most recent data.

I had made a just-in-case backup of the database, but the most recent one I could find was from February 2006. We are planning to restore this older copy, but as you can imagine, this means thousands and thousands of data entry hours by our staff are now lost. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson, and will be making a habit of creating monthly backups from this point forward.

I apologize to all of you who visit here regularly and rely on Voice Chasers as an accurate resource for your voice-over inquiries, and ask you to please be patient with us during our rebuild over the next few months. As an older database will be restored, there will more than likely be some inaccuracies in the data , so any assistance you can give us via the 'Suggest Updates' sections at the bottom of each actor/production page will help to get us back to our previous state.

Thanks for your continued support.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know some data is missing but Im glad that the site is up and running again!
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

GoofyFan wrote:
I know some data is missing but Im glad that the site is up and running again!

Thanks! So are we. Smile

If you find errors (that might've been fixed in the last 18 months but have now been reverted) or want to suggest a production for us to add, just submit it through the "Suggest an Update" links.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic