VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Demo Tapes, and Agencies?

View next topic
View previous topic
Tyledanser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, my name is Ty.

Im only 16, but Ive wanted to get into the Animation and Voice-Over/Acting buisness for a long time, my only problem is my limited resources. I dont have constant access to a computer, or a constant form of transportation. So how would I go about recording a demo tape, also adding onto that question, what exactly should be on that demo tape? Ive had a hard time locating agencies and even finding any agencies in my area(New Jersey). Ive only seen ADV Films, and to me that seems like a place where once your signed to them, they choose whats best for you to perform in. Would anyone like to give a young boy with a pleasing baritone voice some help?

-Ty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello from Nashville, TN.

I've been a professional Voice Over artist for a year or so now, but I, like you have dreamed of being one my entire life. My dream has finally become a reality. It's exciting!

Limited resources can be a challenge, not only for VO, but for any career and life in general. My suggestion for fixing the whole no car/no computer situation would be to start saving by finding a job. I started working at McDonald's around the time I was your age. It was in the drive-thru when a local DJ drove through and told me to pursue radio / voice over. It was only a dream then, but I didn't think it could ever be a reality.

Two years later though, after high school, I attended CSB School of Broadcasting where that same DJ I met at McDonald's taught me radio broadcasting (that is, after I had bought a car and a laptop with the money I saved from working at McDonald's and then as a server at another restaurant.)

Speaking of CSB, you should definitely check them out. There are two in NJ: one in Hasbrouck Heights and one in Cherry Hill. Both are well-established schools and have some GREAT instructors that know the ins and outs of the radio business. They offer full scholarships and it's how I got my start.

In the mean time, start practicing. The best way is to read out loud into a personal voice recorder or a computer and practice, practice, practice. Also, check out the book The Art of Voice Acting by James Alburger. It really is a FANTASTIC book I've read about 4 times now. I read something new every time.

If you want some practical advice from me read my VO blog. I've had lots of success in my first year of professional voice over. I barely have any time for anything else. I would say that's a good problem to have though, don't you think? It sure doesn't hurt the wallet! Subscribe to the RSS feed and even have it delivered to your inbox! It's only been up for three days, but it's got a LOT of great info on it. Check it out!

I sincerely wish you the best of luck Tyler. Please feel free to contact me personally if you want any more advice. I would love to help if I can.

Thanks!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic