VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Half-Life Short Stories: Paradigm Decay: Episode 1

View next topic
View previous topic
JossiRossi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Paradigm Decay (Find out more here: http://www.hlssmod.com/vbnews.php) is looking to recruit Voice Actors for our first episode. Many of the characters will be carried over through multiple episodes. So while you may play a small part in episode one, you might have a bigger role in episode 2 or 3.

Unfortunately due to the nature of this project we can not have all lines immediately ready for recording. The story is all in place, but specifics regarding dialogue opportunities and the finer details of gameplay chatter will have to be developed as we go. We ask that if at all possible be prepared to be called upon to do the later episode's lines at a later date.

So here's the casting call.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent (and to give away as little as possible), and the lines themselves are not related to the actors in content, but in delivery and tone. Actually, you'll probably find you've heard some of these quotes before, we've borrowed from some of our favorites.

Mr. Richard James Cartwright (Major, Recurring)
American Helicopter pilot, early 30's and near enough without a care in a forsaken world. Relies purely on himself to get through life and never lets other peoples problems become his problem – very independent, very rarely lets people 'in'. Sarcastic, but never cocky. The kind of guy who uses jokes to cover up his fear. If he is worried, if he is afraid – and it's rare – you are very worried too.

Line 1- "I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won. "

Line 2- "Childs, we're going out to give Blair the test. If he tries to make it back here and we're not with him... burn him."

Line 3- "I just wanna get up to my shack and get drunk..."

Line 4- "Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait... RJ Cartwright, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31."

Dr. Andrew Michaels (Major, Recurring)
Russian scientist in his late 50's. His approach to science is arrogant and ego-prone; he has no care for the discovery process and is interested simply in the results. Has lived a privileged life and comes from a highly recognized background. Has had something very important taken from him, and he is coming to take it back – having struck a Faustian bargain to do so. Bulky build, quite imposing – domineering, yet exquisite voice. Well educated, but also deeply flawed and blind to his own mistakes.

Line 1- “Don't misinterpret our goals, senator. We just want to go in there – see what they're up to.”

Line 2 - "This is a 60 year MacCutcheon, named after Anderson MacCutcheon, esteemed Admiral from the Royal Navy. He retired with more medals than any man before or since -- moved to the highlands to see out his remaining years. Admiral MacCutcheon was a great man, Hume. This was his crowning achievement. This swallow is worth more than you could make in a month. [he drinks it down] To share it with you would be a waste, and a disgrace to the great man who made it -- because you, Hume, will never be a great man"

Line 3 - "What is the point of research if nothing ever comes of it? My father could have allowed us to get to the moon before the Americans, but instead he squandered his time taking measurements. You simply can't justify science without there being a tangible goal."

Mr. David Saul (Minor, Recurring)
African mercenary. Late 30's. Cold, psychopathic killer without a trace of conscience. Will pull the trigger when and wherever you ask him to. Deep, yet flat voice – no emotion and chillingly so.

Line 1- "Secrets are not my concern. Keeping them is."

Line 2- "It's not my place to ask. I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin."

Line 3- "You're fighting a war you've already lost."

Dr. Steven Raine (Minor, Recurring)
American scientist who is sly, cunning, and manipulative. In a way he's a used car salesman kind of guy. He's deceitful and a coward. A weaselly type of person. He can also be pretty condescending, in the right frame of mind.

Line 1- "This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic."

Line 2- "Richard? I- You know I expected more from you - I thought you'd be smarter than this."

Line 3- "Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly-clearly an important species we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them."

Line 4- "Okay, look. What if that ship didn't even exist? Did you ever think about that, I didn't know! So, now, if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in; Administration steps in, and there's no exclusive rights for anybody, nobody wins! So I made a decision, and it was... wrong. It was a bad call, Richards. It was a bad call."

Dr. Anthony Michaels (Minor, Nonrecurring)
One of the greatest scientific minds that ever lived, Anatoly dreams of a scientific community unfettered by corporate bureaucracy and government rigmarole. Noble intentions – honest, true and with a clear purpose: to save lives through scientific advancement. Accent should be ukranian or russian in nature.

Line 1- "We never answered the question 'Why?' Why are we as a people worth saving? We still commit murder because of greed and spite, jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything that we've done. We decided to play God, create life. And when that life turned against us, we comforted ourselves in the knowledge that it really wasn't our fault, not really. You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore."

Samuel Stanton (Minor, nonrecurring)
British Scientist, late 40's. Recruited young and brought up in an incredibly science orientated environment. Has seen something he truly believed in, and spent his entire life working towards, corrupted and mutilated. He made a promise once to maintain a dream, and instead inadvertently contributed to its decline; but he won't make excuses for the part he played. In a final attempt to right his wrongs and wash away his sins, he is making a stand – something he should have done 30 years ago. Good, honest and true.

Line 1 - "The world is changing so fast, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look. Dinosaurs and man... two species separated by 65 million years of evolution, have suddenly been thrown into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea of what to expect?"

Line 2 - "I'm a scientist, who cares if I shine?"

Speaker (Minor, nonrecurring)
British or American scientist. Clear, precise voice. Is giving a propaganda speech and encouraging revolt against a clearly broken and corrupt system.

Line 1 - “Should we give in to this terrorists demands? The Batman is an outlaw, but that's not why we're demanding he turn himself in we're doing it because we're scared. We've been happy to let the Batman clean up our streets for us until now-” “Things are worse than ever!” “Yes they are. But the night is darkest just before the dawn, and I promise you: the dawn is coming. One day the Batman will have to answer for the laws he has broken, but to us – not to this madman.”

Send in all lines in .mp3 or .ogg format.
Name lines as Charname_Yourname.mp3 (or .ogg)
Please Zip or Rar your files as well.
Remember, vocal quality and recording quality are both important, so please make sure your samples are clear.
Feel free to put all lines into a single file, as well as any other takes on the character.

Samples may be posted here or emailed to me directly at yoricksrequiem@gmail.com.

The deadline for these will be September 30th.
JossiRossi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bump because there are 2 weeks left for this audition.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic