VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

I'm having a fight with a friend

View next topic
View previous topic
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

OK, this friend of mine was taking voice over classes (we don't live in the same state), with a voice actor (I won't say who) and this one of those classes that offer a DEMO.

Now I've been told that it's very important to stay away from "package" classes that offer demos.

He claimed that by producing a demo that came with the class, he had nothing to lose, since it didn't cost him anything.

However, I told him, from what I've learned, that "you're not ready to make a demo until you know you're ready" and that if you submit a bad demo to an agent, it can hurt your chances at becoming a voice actor, 'cause they won't bother to listen to the same person again if it was bad the first time around. He thinks that they're not gonna bother to keep old demos on file.

Not only that, but he doesn't believe me when I told him that the first few seconds of a demo are important, because that's all they usually listen to, but he also didn't believe me. He apparently thinks agents have time to listen to the whole demo AND listen to the demo of someone they've already heard before.

I was trying to warn my friend about hurting his chances of becoming a voice actor, but he just seemed to refuse my advice, including "take advice from more than one person (and not just his one voice actor teacher).

Could someone tell if the stuff I pointed out is correct? Is HE correct about anything? I'd love some feedback.

Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can ANYONE provide some feedback?

Redneck Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're both right. While sending out a crappy demo can hurt your chances, a year down the road, they're not going to remember you. Honestly, it's all about trial and error. What one agent likes, the other will hate. Trust me. It's not the end of the world if you send out one crappy demo.

Now, if you send the SAME crappy demo out over and over again for YEARS....
scottreyns

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Redneck Genius wrote:
While sending out a crappy demo can hurt your chances, a year down the road, they're not going to remember you.

Redneck Genius wrote:
Now, if you send the SAME crappy demo out over and over again for YEARS....

Aye. I suspect that when actors are seeking representation about as aggressively as they ought to, on average they maybe pitch themselves to agencies in their market a couple times a year max, but hopefully only doing so when they've got something new for agencies to listen to each time. Maybe this means incremental updates to their demos as they've done a few more jobs on their own each quarter, or maybe it means somewhere along the line they made huge revisions to their demos.

I think positivity, patience and persistence and demonstrating continual improvement and dedication are all pretty important, along with making sure one's demos always represent what one currently sounds like for the most part.

I don't think sending out crappy demos at any point is a good thing, but making the mistake initially isn't an instant death sentence as far as trying to get some seed of a potential career planted. Initially sounding crappy is forgettable because not sucking takes time and practice. Initially crappy and then awesome after a bit of practice is noteworthy at worst, remarkable at best. Persistently crappy though, i.e. not demonstrating one is growing, self-critiquing over time and learning and is instead just being pushy and lazy over time, yeah then that would be memorable in a bad way... If/as one is doing that it's not even a "time to change one's stage name" thing. It's a "try getting into a different line of work" thing, because it signals a lack of picking up on the obvious stuff (and being bookable to any degree means being able to not just roll with what's obvious but also with what's subtle).

Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's quite insightful Scott, thank you!

And welcome to the site!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic