VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Approaching other voice actors/directors . . .

View next topic
View previous topic
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since I've become (even more) serious about wanting to be a voice actor, I want to meet/talk to more people who're involved with voice acting or directing, so as to get advice and network (as well as simply wanting to befriend other VAs).

Problem is, I'm sure a lot of these people have dealt with the "I WANNA BE A VOICE ACTOR?! WHAT DO I DO?! OH PLEASE TELL ME! TELL ME TEL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1" and I don't really wanna come off that way, even if I act polite and calm or use decent spelling (over the internet). I'm sure they've dealt with a lot of people who ask for advice/how to break in.

Basically, when talking to other voice actors or directors (or cartoonists, etc.), I just want to know WHAT to do or say to let them know I'm serious and not just a crazy fan. I could mention "I've taken a class with [this person, etc.]" if they know who that is. Having an actual demo and an agent probably would allow them to take me a bit more seriously, but for the time being, I'm trying to figure out what also works.

Is it harder to do this over the internet than in person?

If anyone can contribute, please do!

Redneck Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Crystal.

In my time writing e-mails to other voice actors, only two have actually written back: Candi Milo and Vic Mignogna.

The reason why most don't write back? They just don't want to. It's got nothing to do with being busy or anything personal with anyone. They just read the e-mail, smile, and move on.

My advice to you comes in two parts.

1) Write to them something they might actually want to talk about. I had a back-and-forth conversation with Vic Mignogna by discussing a fellow voice actor he worked with.

2) The headline of the e-mail needs to catch their attention. When I wrote to Candi Milo some six years ago, the headline was something like "Greetings to a voice over queen."

The truth is voice actors like to converse, but they like to converse about real topics.
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's pretty useful info. I was also wondering about in real life--I think I started this topic because of Comic Con. I didn't go, but I was wondering how I would approach cartoon voice actors had I gone. I mean, I'd love to meet the voice actors and cartoonists, but I wouldn't want to seem like another crazy fan, and if I said "I wanna be a voice actor" they'd be like "Ho boy . . . another fanboy/girl with no sense of reality."

I'm starting to wonder if it's better NOT to mention that you wanna be a voice actor at first, talk about other stuff first and then mention it.

Redneck Genius, you say conversing is good, but I don't really know what to converse ABOUT. I mean, everyone's different, so they wouldn't all wanna talk about the same stuff. The other thing is, I really do want to consider myself on the same level as voice actors, so we'll have a mutual respect, but I don't want to pretend I'm their best friend, as it might seem kinda cocky.

Can anyone else help *Hint hint Kristy, James Craven*

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic