VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Comedy Central, Oxy-10, Gillette: Who were those masked men?

View next topic
View previous topic
Jay Levitt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

For no good reason, I keep trying to figure out who the voices are behind some of my favorite ads... can anyone ID these voice actors?

1. Comedy Central's current promos for Chocolate News and other shows? He reminds me of Ernie Anderson, only more... still alive...

2. The classic, pseudo-British guy behind Oxy 10 in the 1980s, as well as Britches Great Outdoors. Listen: Oxy 10

3. The Vic-Caroli-esque Gillette 2004 Superbowl commercial. Listen: Gillette 2004 Super Bowl

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. It's definitely a New York radio voice and one I've heard. I think it could be Norman Rose, has a similar "voice of God" sound. But it could also be Bernard Grant, whose voice was deeper (and who I'm less familiar with). Most of Rose's work I've heard is either from the 50s or the later "Juan Valdez" spots, so listening closely, it's definitely similar but I'm increasingly convinced it's not him. I'll compare to later works that are unquestionably him (including the voice of, well, God in Woody Allen's "Love and Death") and if that's ruled out, I'll try to find more voice samples of Grant (he did a lot of dubbing but most of it uncredited, but he was also in scores ofl CBS Radio Mystery Theater broadcasts in the 1970s and early 1980s; I'm working on one right now to confirm whether he dubbed a certain actor in a Sergio Leone movie).

No clues on the others (need to find a link for the Comedy Central ones in fact), but if I find anything, I'll park it here, and probably make an entry accordingly. Commercial stuff is harder to truck since it can be ephemeral, so I'm trying to record what I find. I just recently found, after a session of demo listening mostly for fun, that Joseph Sirola has been the folksy announcer on Wendy's ads for decades.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Jay Levitt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the leads! I just listened to Norman Rose in Love and Death, and that's definitely not the same guy. Rose sounds more like Patrick Stewart, while the Oxy-10 guy sounds more like John Hillerman (who isn't British either).

In fact, the Oxy-10 guy sounds a lot like Don Pardo doing a John Hillerman impression. But it probably isn't.

Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think one of the voices of Comedy Central is Pete Stacker.

voiceman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

look down at the next page at the bottom of this thread to know about who was the voice-over guy from those OXY commercials.

Last edited by voiceman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
voiceman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Jay Levitt"]Thanks for the leads! I just listened to Norman Rose in Love and Death, and that's definitely not the same guy. Rose sounds more like Patrick Stewart, while the Oxy-10 guy sounds more like John Hillerman (who isn't British either).

In fact, the Oxy-10 guy sounds a lot like Don Pardo doing a John Hillerman impression. But it probably isn't.[/quote]

that guy's name is actually Bill Bryden who was the actually voice-over for those famous Oxy commercials from the early 70's to the mid 90's.

sorry I can't find anymore info on the guy but I found the guys name from so article at adage.com.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic