VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Feb 17, 2005 - PBS chief to step down because of Buster!

View next topic
View previous topic
slai
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

I posted this in another forum last month, but seeing the latest news about this, I thought I might post it here as well. I saw this in the editorial section of my paper late last month:

Quote:
YOU'RE BUSTED, BUSTER
from Progress Report, the website of the American Progress Action Fund
Jan 31, 2005

Late last year, when the Department of Education highlighted the new PBS series, Postcards from Buster, it praised the show's embrace of different cultures: "And by learning about different cultures, Buster also helps to show children what we all have in common." But apparently the concept of universal humanity only extends so far. On her second day on the job as secretary of education, Margaret Spellings, who replaced a previous education secretary with little regard for our nation's educators, has condemned a not-yet-aired episode of the show because the title character's visit to the state of Vermont, where he spends some time with Emma, an 11-year-old girl, and her 2 mommies. ... In a win for intolerence, PBS has chosen not to distribute the episode nationally to its subsidiary stations, but claims the decision is due to the sensitivity of the issue rather than the secretary's objections. However, PBS officials...had [earlier viewed and approved the episode].

This editorial had been EDITED for length by my paper, the Star Tribune, but I think you can find the whole editorial on Progress Report's website.

I think this is the first time a children's animated television program has even come close to dealing with the subject of gay couples and their families. As far as I know, no other nationally broadcast children's animated series has even mentioned the subject, let alone illustrate it. Of course, I'm excluding specials and movies that have dealt with this subject.

Again, please note this was an EDITORIAL.

Today, in the national news section of the paper about said episode:

Quote:
PBS CHIEF UNDER FIRE TO STEP DOWN
Star Tribune
Feb 17. 2005

Pat Mitchell, the Public Broadcasting Service chief under fire for spending public money on a cartoon show that featured a real-life lesbian couple, will step down when her contract expires in June 2006. Mitchell drew criticism for Postcards from Buster, in which an animated bunny named Buster traveled to Vermont - a state known for recognizing same-* civil unions. Though the focus was on farm life, the episode featured a lesbian couple. Education Secretary Margaret Spellings contended that the episode did not fulfill the intent Congress had in mind for programming.

Sonia

Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

I found out earlier this week that my local PBS station, KTCA/TPT, will air THIS episode of Postcards from Buster tonight, Mar 23, in prime time at 7:00 p.m.. I'm not sure if any other PBS stations are doing the same, so check your local listings!

Sonia Wink

Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

Well, KTCA/TPT did indeed air Sugartime! last night, twice in fact, at 7:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. Thursday morning. Before the episode aired, the president and CEO of KTCA/TPT explained how and why KTCA/TPT aired the episode and some of the controversy behind it. The prime time airing supposedly was a chance for parents to screen the episode BEFORE it airs in its regular time slot at 4:00 p.m. Monday, Mar 28th. KTCA/TPT's sister station, KTCI plans on airing the episode again tonight at 9:00 p.m..

I was very tired when I got home last night, so I saw bits and pieces of the 1:00 a.m. broadcast. Buster wanted to make the perfect Mother's Day gift for his Mom, but he couldn't figure out what to give her. He tried several ideas, including a bunch of maple syrup goodies, but in the end, he ended up giving her something made by himself. I saw the brief mention that some of the kids had 2 moms and how their family was setup, but that was about it. Everything else was maple syrup. If I get home early tonight, I'll re-watch the episode on my tape and try to make a more comprehensive synopsis. The maple syrup looked delicious!

Sonia Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic