VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Voice Actor Robert O. Smith Dies

View next topic
View previous topic
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Voice actor Garry Chalk has reported on his Facebook page that fellow voice actor Robert O. Smith died last week of pancreatic and liver cancer. He was 67.

Smith worked on several anime and non-union projects with more notable credits including Soundwave in Transformers: Cybertron, GravityMan in Megaman: NT Warrior, and Sagat in Street Fighter: The Animated Series. He also enjoyed power lifting and wrestling.

The Federal Way News has a nice tribute to Smith and his radio days in this article.

We extend our deepest sympathies to his friends and family during this difficult time.
A. Leal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sad to see this. I had the pleasure of corresponding briefly with Mr. Smith back in my early days with Voicechasers. He was extremely informative and pleasant, and to quote him, "You guys are way too kind to pay attention to the humble O Man."

Thanks to the changes in the voice world due to IDSN, he'd branched out sporadically into projects outside Vancouver, including the video game The Movies, as the only non-Londoner in the principal cast, doing a spot-on and very funny impersonation of Wolfman Jack as DJ "Mad Dog."
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Same here, Andrew. Always a nice and humble guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thank for giving us information..This is really sad.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A few years ago I was i a recording session for Jim French's "Imgination Theatre" and one of the main actors didn't show up. Jim asked a couple of us to do a quick audition for the part that talent was to have played and I got it. On the spur of the moment I came up with a voice to suit the character and the session went on successfully. A fews days later I get a call from Jim asking me to come to his studio. When I got there he played the finished show for me called "The House on Brookside Lane." The end product sounded fine but Jim asked me to wait and listen to another cut. It was me doing the voice I'd picked but it was dialog I'd never read. Jim cut the sound and asked what I thought.? I asked him how he did that and he told me that the voice I'd just heard wasn't me but Robert O. Smith from a play Jim had done in the 70's. I'd never met Robert O. but I used to hear him on various stations in the Seattle area over the years. The similarities in the two character voices was uncanny and they were over 25 years apart! The second odd thing in connection with this was I formerly acted under the name of Larry Smith.
Larry Albert

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic