VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Equipment

View next topic
View previous topic
Cumulus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all, just wondering if in my endeavours I should start buying professional equipment right away, or work in studios and pay studio fees first? Thanks!

"But Everyone is equal in a blind man's eye..." -Me
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
James Craven
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

It depends. If you have the money for fees, go to the studio. Once you get established, and you can make lots of money, then building a studio would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I started checking out how much some of these studios charge and I was BLOWN away.

I thought to myself, SURELY, I can build a studio for less than the fees they charge. Yes, you can. If you have a computer already, as I am assuming you do, you can buy a Samson C01U mic that hooks into your USB port and sounds fantastic ($75)! You need some type of stand for the mic (about $20).

It is also VERY beneficial to have some sort of way to get rid of as much noise as possible from the track. I recommend buying thick blocks of foam rubber from a craft store, making a box (of sorts) out of it, draping a sheet or blanket over you (only while recording!) to deaden the sound for cheap. Also, buy or make a pop shield so when you speak a P or D it doesn't sound like you're punching the microphone.

For software, I recommend Audacity. It is totally free and has more functions than some of the cheaper audio editors. It is really great, I use it when I need to go mobile.

For more practical tips like these, Check out my blog. I just started it three days ago but there's already some great tips on there. Check it out. Add it to your RSS feed and read it hot off the presses.

I've always dreamed of being a pro VO and I've finally arrived, I've had more work these past two months than I can handle simply because I have drive and networking skills. In my first year of Pro VO work, I came out in the green. That means I paid off my entire new studio, computer system, business cards, tshirts, car window ad, and website. Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good start.

Best wishes!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic