VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Is voice acting in Japan ageist?

View next topic
View previous topic
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed a lot of anime in the past couple of years, the lead roles are almost always voiced by people born in the 80s, and in the past few years, a couple of voice actors born in the early 90s. Whereas voice actors who seemed to dominate anime in the 90s and early 2000s hardly ever seem to voice characters anymore, unless it's a one-episode character, they originated the character sometime back, or they're voicing someone's mom (or dad). I mean, voice actors shouldn't have to "grow up" with their characters, should they?

I notice in a lot of recent dubs as a result of this, the English voice actor was almost always born earlier than the original actor and has usually been working longer. I keep hearing a lot of "Japanese voice actors are better than English voice actors!" type stuff, but that seems to imply you have to be young, Japanese and pretty to be a good voice actor.

I'm not implying there aren't any talented Japanese voice actors, there are. But a lot of recent practices over there seem to contradict what I've been taught about voice acting.

Well, IS voice acting in Japan ageist?

Shadowwing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crystal wrote:
I've noticed a lot of anime in the past couple of years, the lead roles are almost always voiced by people born in the 80s, and in the past few years, a couple of voice actors born in the early 90s. Whereas voice actors who seemed to dominate anime in the 90s and early 2000s hardly ever seem to voice characters anymore, unless it's a one-episode character, they originated the character sometime back, or they're voicing someone's mom (or dad). I mean, voice actors shouldn't have to "grow up" with their characters, should they?

I notice in a lot of recent dubs as a result of this, the English voice actor was almost always born earlier than the original actor and has usually been working longer. I keep hearing a lot of "Japanese voice actors are better than English voice actors!" type stuff, but that seems to imply you have to be young, Japanese and pretty to be a good voice actor.

I'm not implying there aren't any talented Japanese voice actors, there are. But a lot of recent practices over there seem to contradict what I've been taught about voice acting.

Well, IS voice acting in Japan ageist?

Idk to tell the truth

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic