VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Interest in voice overs

View next topic
View previous topic
NYVO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Im a sophmore in hs and very interested in voice overs. i've contacted and researched whatever i can but i want trainning. Does anyone know of any voice coaches, and improv/acting classes in new york that i can take?
utonium

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im actually in the same boat as you are. I contacted Larry Kenney (Lion-O) about it and he reccomended me http://www.vocalpointproductions.com/

I been so busy with my regular day to day job i havent even called in yet. He informed me that several people that went there went on to become successful Voice Actors.
McMuffinDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a high school freshmen and I've wanted to get into this for years, but my parents don't have the money and I live far away from most voiceover chances

McMuffinDragon bids you adieu! *swirls cape and vanishes*
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
davidb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Having the desire to pursue voice acting is a great place to start. While in my opinion you will certainly need training and a professional demo, there are many things you can do to improve your skills until you are in a position where you have the time and money to train.
Since the primary responsibility of a voice actor is effective reading, you can gain a lot of ground by reading aloud regularly. It's particularly beneficial to read material you have never looked at before.
To make things more interesting, purchase some index cards and on each card write down a diferent mood or emotion. Then, put the cards in a box or bag or simply shuffle them. Next, randomly pick somthing out of the newspaper to read, grab one of your cards, and try to apply the mood or emotion on the card to what you read. Then..try a different card. This is good reading practice,and, it gives you experience applying direction to copy.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

David Bourgeois

President: Voice Coaches
1-866-887-2834 X 100
www.voicecoaches.com
kevvvy1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi David,

I happen to live in Hollywoood, but I am currently working in another industry. I've always had a knack for doing voices and I think I might like to give it a go. Obviously learning any new skill will happen faster if you can immerse yourself in it, but I just can't do that right now. Is breaking into voice acting and voice overs something you can do on the side?

Kevin
davidb

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kevin

Don't think of Voice Overs as something you "break in" to. I would leave break ins to bank robbers and jewelry thieves!

Getting started in Voice Overs is just like beginning any other small business. You will invest money and time in an effort to realize a result.

This is absolutely a field that you can do part time. In fact, because building success in our field takes some time, many people use the security of their current employment as a platform that allows them to pursue voice over.

Another thought for you that can help get you started is developing a busines plan. Voice Overs will become a small business that you are the CEO of. Individuals opening stores or restaurants recognize they are opening a business and they usually devvelop a plan. Unfortunately those going into our field often never realize they are going in business for themselves at all.
My suggestion for a simple business plan:

Get a notebook, go in about 15 or 20 pages and write down a goal. Now, whenever you have a creative moment, grab the notebook, start on the first page, and begin to create a list of steps you'll take to arrive at your goal. This is a basic business plan...setting a goal and creating a set of steps that you'll take to reach your goal.

In addition to all of this, HAVE FUN DOING IT!

Cheers

David at Voice Coaches

David Bourgeois

President: Voice Coaches
1-866-887-2834 X 100
www.voicecoaches.com
bobsouer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

David,

Thank you for these very practical and cost effective ideas. Well done, sir.

bobsouer.com
The Voiceover Boblog
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
voiceofmichael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Guys,

I see there's some budding talent waiting for some VO drops of wisdom.

Check out my blog. I just started it three days ago but there's already some great tips on there. Check it out. Add it to your RSS feed and read it hot off the presses.

I've always dreamed of being a pro VO and I've finally arrived, I've had more work these past two months than I can handle simply because I have drive and networking skills. In my first year of Pro VO work, I came out in the green. That means I paid off my entire new studio, computer system, business cards, tshirts, car window ad, and website. Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good start.

Best wishes!

Rod Darth Vox Barnes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings;

Just happened to be perusing the forums and had to chime in a bit...

It's very true that in order to make a name in this business, you should invest and market yourself well- and at least do what you can to keep the voices that you do, doable. a quick example in my case is simply doing my own narratives and voiceovers for my own play showcases. then there's the times I do audio checks-great time for me to perfect my dead-on LaFontaine. I still wish I could go "Warning Will Robinson" like Dick Tufeld but age has taken its toll on my pipes. moving on... simplest way of continueing: practice, practice practice- and having people who will still believe in you...

self described would-be disciple of LaFontaine, Blanc, Tufeld, Jones, Cassidy and Welker

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic