VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

 
 Stripe the Gremlin - Frank Welker or Michael Winslow?
 
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 881
Location: Milford, PA

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

In a recent interview with The Den of Geek, actor Michael Winslow mentions several times that he was the voice of Stripe from the 80s film, Gremlins. However, everything I have come across (except interviews with Winslow!) notes Frank Welker as the voice of that character and Winslow as just a general Gremlin/vocal effects artist.

Anyone have some insight? I may have to watch the film again to voice chase and see if I can determine who it is (and to check the credits). Looks like I'll have to move it up to the top of my Netflix queue. Wink

_________________
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
A. Leal
Site Admin


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 59
Location: El Paso, Texas

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Checking in after a long absence, I think it's actually a bit of both. The film only had a block list of "Vocal Effects" actors, including both Welker *and* Winslow, with no attribution of anyone for any specific gremlin (IMDb has a few but none of it is in the actual screen credits, no such "Mogwai and Gremlin" billing). Many other print interviews have mentioned Winslow as Stripe (as does Winslow's official site), and most of the Welker references aren't directly quoting him or in some cases may well be assumptions, since he certainly contributed to the bulk of the gremlin *sounds* overall, but of course more folks were involved than is generally remembered (Fred Newman, Bob Bergen, Peter Cullen, Bob Holt, and others). Without the film handy to do an aural check, my own guess is that most of it is Winslow with Welker either alternating or mixed in for certain effects (I wouldn't be surprised if a few utterances combined both simultaneously). Unlike animation with pre-recorded tracks, it's common in effects films to have more than one actor provide a character's vocals and have the results edited together and mixed and matched (the Jim Henson Company movie "Buddy" did just that, with Welker and sound designers Dane A. Davis and Hector Gika all credited with the title character's voice, and probably a couple uncredited folks as well).
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GoofyFan



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On "The Frank Welker Homepage" http://www.mkbmemorial.com/FWHp/ it says on this page http://www.mkbmemorial.com/FWHp/film_efg.htm#G that in the movie Gremlins (1984),
Mr Welker did "-special vocal effects-Stripe" .
It also says he was in Gremlins 2 - The New Batch (1990) doing "special vocal effects-
Mohawk".

In Wikipedia it says that Frank Welker did "the voice of Stripe and most of the other Mogwai and Gremlins". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gremlins

However I know that the Frank Welker website has a "Ask Frank" page where one can ask questions and get them answered directly by Frank Welker himself, so perhaps you can ask him there ?

And as for Michael Winslow , the biography on his official website also says he did the voice of Stripe : http://michaelwinslow.net/biography.html
View user's profileSend private message
A. Leal
Site Admin


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 59
Location: El Paso, Texas

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wikipedia is a bad source and the homepage, which is essentially an approved fan site, is usually but not always correct either (though the "Ask Frank" page is a good idea), but in this case, it does increase the likelihood that both actors worked on the character (in fact, apart from Howie Mandel, I'm not convinced that on "Gremlins" any of the VAs were cast by character necessarily, but asked to record different types of sounds for different actions or moods and then the results edited in post accordingly; the DVD commentary may or may not have details). "Gremlins 2" did include specific character identifications, not just a blanket "Special Vocal Effects," and billed Welker as Mohawk.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GoofyFan



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A. Leal wrote:
Wikipedia is a bad source and the homepage, which is essentially an approved fan site, is usually but not always correct either (though the "Ask Frank" page is a good idea), but in this case, it does increase the likelihood that both actors worked on the character (in fact, apart from Howie Mandel, I'm not convinced that on "Gremlins" any of the VAs were cast by character necessarily, but asked to record different types of sounds for different actions or moods and then the results edited in post accordingly; the DVD commentary may or may not have details). "Gremlins 2" did include specific character identifications, not just a blanket "Special Vocal Effects," and billed Welker as Mohawk.


Iīm well aware that Wikipedia isnīt always a good source , nevertheless I deciced to mention it here and to put up a link to it.True or not, itīs still an example of sources on the Internet where Frank Welker is credited for doing the voice of Stripe. I cannot however take any responsibility for the information on the Wikipedia page, as I am not the person who created the Wikipedia page for the Gremlins movie. As for the Frank Welker webpage itīs more than a fan site. Not only has Mr Welker approved the site,the person behind the site also gets information and so on from him and also forwards questions to him that he answers in the "Ask Frank " page.And to make things clear, the person behind that site is not me. Yes , of course itīs possible that both actors worked on the character and that they recorded different things that were then edited together.I havenīt heard that DVD commentary so I can not say anything about that. Thank you for the information about "Gremlins 2"
View user's profileSend private message
A. Leal
Site Admin


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 59
Location: El Paso, Texas

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No offense, I raised the distinction because it's *not* his personal page (and about Wikipedia since the question is the accuracy of the claim, not how many sites mention it). It's still an "approved fan site," which generally means the subject has seen the web site and communicated with the webmaster and indeed provided some info, but does not personally maintain it and has not necessarily vetted each and every individual claim, nor is it like those websites where the person's agency has set it up and provided all info and resumes and so on. Just at a glance, I see several cases where character names are demonstrably wrong or roles are missing and mistaken roles included (as with "Cats Don't Dance," listing the role played by George Kennedy) and so on. Doreen Mulman's done an excellent job on the site and I applaud her hard work, but as far as the filmography goes, most of it comes from her own research, checking with Welker or his resume only for some stuff (and with such a long and prolific career, even he can't remember specifics about everything, and besides it would take forever to ask him to confirm, deny, or correct each individual item, so I imagine she's concentrated her efforts on the more obscure entries not covered by other sites or texts, and since as you note everyone else says he was Stripe, it probably never occurred to her to question it; I've done the same thing in my own research at times). Also, she makes no note for those many occasions where multiple actors worked on a character's vocal effects in a live action film, so again it doesn't disprove the Winslow claim and only somewhat strengthens the Welker one (like I said in my first post, I'd have to listen to the soundtrack to be sure, but I have a very strong hunch that both actors played the role). Above the filmography, Doreen herself has a note: "Filmography is incomplete and may contain a few inaccuracies."

I'm not meaning to sound argumentative, Goofy Fan, and it's nothing personal, just as an academic (and also from spending a lot of time on Muppet Wiki, where we've continually had to correct widespread assumptions or rumors which, when carefully examined, are usually incorrect) and especially with voice identifications, I'm in the habit of checking any and all indirect sources *very* very carefully and hesitant to consider them as proof unless verified (through interviews or correspondence, thus why the "Ask Frank" is a good idea, screen credits, official resumes, or careful listening especially comparing it with another person or more, since all of us can make the occasional mistake when going by ear alone). There's a common (though understandable) tendency to assume that if Frank Welker worked on a project, every animal or creature sound (unless widely proven to be from someone else and not always even then) is his, which is often but not *always* true.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 881
Location: Milford, PA

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A. Leal wrote:
Without the film handy to do an aural check, my own guess is that most of it is Winslow with Welker either alternating or mixed in for certain effects (I wouldn't be surprised if a few utterances combined both simultaneously).


That might very well be the case; good call there. And noting Goofy Fan's reference of Wikipedia, I noticed the source on the mention of Welker as the voice of the character was from the DVD commentary. I've got the movie at the top of my Netflix queue, so as soon as I get around to returning one of the two I've got currently, I'll let you know if any additional information is gleaned from that source.

_________________
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
GoofyFan



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

A. Leal wrote:
No offense, I raised the distinction because it's *not* his personal page (and about Wikipedia since the question is the accuracy of the claim, not how many sites mention it). It's still an "approved fan site," which generally means the subject has seen the web site and communicated with the webmaster and indeed provided some info, but does not personally maintain it and has not necessarily vetted each and every individual claim, nor is it like those websites where the person's agency has set it up and provided all info and resumes and so on. Just at a glance, I see several cases where character names are demonstrably wrong or roles are missing and mistaken roles included (as with "Cats Don't Dance," listing the role played by George Kennedy) and so on. Doreen Mulman's done an excellent job on the site and I applaud her hard work, but as far as the filmography goes, most of it comes from her own research, checking with Welker or his resume only for some stuff (and with such a long and prolific career, even he can't remember specifics about everything, and besides it would take forever to ask him to confirm, deny, or correct each individual item, so I imagine she's concentrated her efforts on the more obscure entries not covered by other sites or texts, and since as you note everyone else says he was Stripe, it probably never occurred to her to question it; I've done the same thing in my own research at times). Also, she makes no note for those many occasions where multiple actors worked on a character's vocal effects in a live action film, so again it doesn't disprove the Winslow claim and only somewhat strengthens the Welker one (like I said in my first post, I'd have to listen to the soundtrack to be sure, but I have a very strong hunch that both actors played the role). Above the filmography, Doreen herself has a note: "Filmography is incomplete and may contain a few inaccuracies."

I'm not meaning to sound argumentative, Goofy Fan, and it's nothing personal, just as an academic (and also from spending a lot of time on Muppet Wiki, where we've continually had to correct widespread assumptions or rumors which, when carefully examined, are usually incorrect) and especially with voice identifications, I'm in the habit of checking any and all indirect sources *very* very carefully and hesitant to consider them as proof unless verified (through interviews or correspondence, thus why the "Ask Frank" is a good idea, screen credits, official resumes, or careful listening especially comparing it with another person or more, since all of us can make the occasional mistake when going by ear alone). There's a common (though understandable) tendency to assume that if Frank Welker worked on a project, every animal or creature sound (unless widely proven to be from someone else and not always even then) is his, which is often but not *always* true.


No offense taken. I know the question was and is about accuracy and not about the amount of sites crediting Frank Welker as beeing the voice of Stripe.I actually included the Wikipedia link more or less as a "fun fact", and I will admit that it is not always the best of sources. Actually, I probably shouldīve just linked to the Frank Welker website as that site was the really important thing in my post.
Yes, I know that Mr. Welker or his agency is not directly involved in the website. However, since Iīve noticed on the website that he is clearly very pleased with the website and with the way itīs run I thought the accuracy of it should at least be higher than for a website with no connection to Mr. Welker himself.And for the record I also applaud the work she does with the website. I am also well aware of the disclaimer on the filmography site and that there are flaws in the filmography. However, combined with the "Ask Frank" page, my impression is that it is the most accurate source for Frank Welker information on the web , that is of course with one exception beeing this website! Yes , of course Mr. Welker canīt confirm anything in the filmography both because it would take too much time and because of the impossibility of remembering everything, considering the vast amounts of films, tv-shows etc etc. heīs been involved in. As for what you say about her assuming that Frank Welker was Stripe just because it says everywhere else that he was, you have to ask her about that.

I was not trying to sound argumentative either, and I did not mean anything personal, so again no offense taken and my apologies if my post offended you in any way. Beeing an academic myself. I know everything about the importance of checking sources for accuracy and I too am always very careful when it comes to checking sources. Yes, getting the information from the main source is always the best, which I why I again recommend using the "Ask Frank" page. I have done so myself once and got a very nice and informative reply there from Mr. Welker. I completely agreen that one can be fooled by oneīs own ears. I also agree that one should not accept anything as true unless it has been verified.

True, I am sure that misconception is quite widespread. Frank Welker has a very wide array of sounds and voices to choose from but that does not mean that he is always responsible for every animal sound or creature sound.


Kristy Sproul: Ok, thank you !
View user's profileSend private message
Jester



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm watching it now...and I gotta go Welker. The voice he uses for Stripe sounds like Bubba the Cave Duck from the later seasons of Duck Tales. Winslow may have supplied some of the sounds and growls (I don't see why, Frank's no voice over slouch.) for Stripe, but Welker speaks the lines.
View user's profileSend private message
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 881
Location: Milford, PA

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jester wrote:
I'm watching it now...and I gotta go Welker. The voice he uses for Stripe sounds like Bubba the Cave Duck from the later seasons of Duck Tales. Winslow may have supplied some of the sounds and growls (I don't see why, Frank's no voice over slouch.) for Stripe, but Welker speaks the lines.


Thanks for the info! From what I remember, it sure sounds like Welker to me. Do you happen to have the DVD, or are you watching it on TV? If the DVD, I hear there is some commentary where they discuss Welker as the voice...

_________________
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Jester



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DVD, but I didn't listen to the commentary. I have a friend who has helped me develop an ear for certain actors, and Frank is one of them. Pat Fraley is another.
View user's profileSend private message
GoofyFan



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jester wrote:
I'm watching it now...and I gotta go Welker. The voice he uses for Stripe sounds like Bubba the Cave Duck from the later seasons of Duck Tales. Winslow may have supplied some of the sounds and growls (I don't see why, Frank's no voice over slouch.) for Stripe, but Welker speaks the lines.


Thatīs very interesting!
View user's profileSend private message
Deby Cedars



Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 6
Location: CT/NY area....but I have lived down south most of my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I googled his name and found a geico commercial.

Has any one listened to character demo?

_________________
Deby Cedars
debycedrs@yahoo.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 881
Location: Milford, PA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Deby Cedars wrote:
I googled his name and found a geico commercial.

Has any one listened to character demo?


Hi Deby,

Which are you referring to... Winslow or Welker?

Finding the character demo for Winslow is a good idea... I wonder if VoiceBank has it. I'll check.

I've still got Gremlins in my Netflix queue... I've been stalling with the other movies I already have at home. Wink

(Good to see you here, by the way! Smile )

_________________
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Kristy Sproul
Site Admin


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 881
Location: Milford, PA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of the Gremlins DVD. Indeed, in the Cast Commentary on the disc, Howie Mandel (the voice of Gizmo) tells a humorous anecdote about going to the original audition, brought there by none other than Frank Welker.

In case you're curious, I've uploaded an audio clip (.mp3, 442K) of that story where Mandel explicitly states Welker was the voice of Stripe and the director, Joe Dante, confirms, "Right."

Of course, as noted earlier in the thread by Andrew, there is the possibility that Winslow's vocal effects may have been used here and there for Stripe, but according to Mandel and Dante, it sounds like Welker was cast specifically for the part.

Mystery solved!

_________________
Your Friendly Neighborhood Webmaster
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topic Reply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 1996-2020 Dekiru Productions LLC, All Rights Reserved
About :: Terms of Use :: Privacy Policy