VoiceChasers Login :: Register  
Home Database Community Events Shop Help Contact
Please register with us to participate in the forums and suggest updates to our
database via the links at the bottom of every voice actor and production page.

Prelay VS ADR

View next topic
View previous topic
Crystal
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed that between English-speaking voice actors, there seems to be a line between voice actors who do cartoons (prelay) and voice actors who do anime (ADR).

As someone who's seriously trying to become a voice actor, this worries me. I hear that it's supposedly easier to break into the business doing anime than it is doing cartoons, It's not that I wouldn't want to be in an anime, but I'm worried that there's an unspoken rule "Once you're in anime, you can never be in cartoons."

I understand that prelay is probably only in California, as opposed to Texas (where ADV and FUNimation are) and New York (where NYAV Post). However, in Canada, working voice actors seem to be able to divide their work between anime and cartoons.

Despite the fact that it's apparently easier to break into ADR, I notice most cartoon voice actors (Carlos Alazraqui, Billy West, etc.) seemed to be able to start out without doing anime. However, there are some anime dub actors who have been doing voicework for over 10 years without ever being in a cartoon.

On the other hand, Kari Wahlgren seems to have done some cartoon roles recently. Debi Derryberry and Daran Norris initially did anime, but now primarily do cartoons.

A friend thinks it has to do with connections/who you meet.

As a discussion topic: what determines which English-speaking California-based voice actors do anime/ADR and which do cartoons/prelay?

Kristy Sproul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crystal wrote:
As a discussion topic: what determines which English-speaking California-based voice actors do anime/ADR and which do cartoons/prelay?

I think much of the "dividing line" has to do with whether the work is union or not. Much of the 'prelay' as you mentioned is union work, meaning that you need to be a member of SAG/AFTRA and the like in order to get the role. There's a set hourly rate and other rules that the company has to abide by in order to hire union actors.

On the other hand, much of the anime these days is still non-union work, and as a rule, members of SAG/AFTRA are forbidden to sign on to these sorts of projects (though many do cross-over, which is why they sometimes go by pseudonyms).

Hope that helps explain things at a high level. I'm sure someone in the industry can give a much better explanation than I have. Smile

Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh* This all stresses me out.

I know Kari Wahlgren was able to start doing cartoon work while still doing anime, still under her name, and Hynden Walch did cartoons like Teen Titans and Chalk Zone, but then did some anime (under same name) such as IGPX, Gurren Lagann and Lucky Star.

*sigh* I REALLY wanna be in cartoons . . .

Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can see where the OP is coming from, but Kristy has it right. Not only is there a union/non-union issue, but there's the matter of how much the gig pays. Non-union is usually a bit less than union work, and there are no residuals (which is where the real money gets made for most union actors).

On the flip side, Kyle Herbert, Bob Bergen, Pat Fraley, etc. are all known voice actors and they're all union. Bob does the least amount of anime of the three, but he's done a few. Pat Fraley has done quite a bit, and I think that his schedule is probably the biggest issue (why take a non-union booking when you've got a union booking that pays rate plus 10%? The choice is pretty obvious yet he still managed to squeeze in time to do "Shin Chan").

Kyle is AFTRA (I know he was planning on joining SAG as well, but don't know whether or not he's taken the plunge as of yet), and he's booking anime gigs left and right.

I think that the thing to remember is that ADR isn't just anime, but it is it's own field within voice over. Within that subset of VO is anime, which is a niche (yes, a much larger industry than it used to be, but it's still considered niche). When you have a subset of a subset of an industry, you're not going to have as many people and the draw for most might not be as appealing for some of them for one reason or another.

Even though a lot of anime is non-union, it's a matter of paperwork and hoopjumping for a union actor to be permitted to accept a booking for one. Once the local paymaster is satisfied, you're pretty much there, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to forego any non-union booking that came my way. Some places are easier than others to do this in, but if your heart is in it, it's just a matter of putting up with the bureaucracy.

My Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic